Former department store
The eventful story of Germany’s major department stores began in the Hanseatic city of Stralsund. This is where the merchant families Tietz (later trading under the names Hertie and Kaufhof) and Wertheim ran their first stores in the second half of the 19th century. The Wertheim brothers purchased the properties at Ossenreyerstraße 8–10 in 1902 and had a large department store erected there, which opened in 1903 and which was extended into the adjacent plots Ossenreyerstraße 11 and 12 in 1927. The challenge lay in turning the single-tenant department store into a multi-tenant business premises with five stores which are accessible from outside, while observing the strict requirements regarding the preservation of historic buildings during the extensive refurbishment.
A project of the CONCEPTA managing partners.
Facts & Figures
Neumarkt Galerie Köln
Fünf Höfe München